Six podcasts in featuring some of the best in country and Americana music and I do believe I’m hitting a stride. Or something. Whatever, it getting even more fun!
This episode may be the best yet! On the cut, “Hero,” Willie Nelson shares the spotlight with Jamey Johnson and Billy Joe Shaver off his new release “Heroes.” Austin Lucas with Glossary sends me a rough mix of “Alone in Memphis” being backed by his current tour mates Glossary. Delta Rae proves the power of the voice in the fiery ” Bottom of the River” from their debut album “Carry The Fire.”things end out with a tribute to the great Levon Helm from his Grammy award winning “Dirt Farmer.”
I hope you all enjoy the great Americana and roots music featured in this and all the podcasts and hope you seek out the musicians and buy their music, merch and , most importantly, take all your friends and see them live. Remember you can leave requests or feedback below or email me at baron(at)twangnation(dot)com.
Now, kick back with your adult beverage of choice and let Twang Nation remind you what great music sounds like.
1. Jason Eady – song: “AM Country Heaven” album: “AM Country Heaven” (Underground Sound)
2. Marty Stuart - song: “Tear The Woodpile Down” - album: “Nashville, Volume 1: Tear The Woodpile Down” (Sugar Hill Records)
3. Delta Rae - song: “Bottom of the River” – album: “Carry The Fire” (Sire Records)
4. Shawn Mullins – song: “Give God The Blues” – album: “Mercyland – Hymns For The Rest Of Us” (Mercyland Records)
5. Giant Giant Sand - song: “Detained” – album: “Tucson” (Fire Records)
6. Paul Thorn - song: “What the Hell Is Goin’ On”- album: “What the Hell Is Goin’ On” (Perpetual Obscurity)
7. Willie Nelson - song: “Hero” – album: “Heroes” (Sony Music Entertainment)
8. Austin Lucas with Glossary - song: “Alone in Memphis” album: Demo
9. The Mavericks – song: “Born To Be Blue” – album: “Suited Up and Ready EP” (The Valory Music Co.)
10. Levon Helm – song: False hearted lover blues album: Dirt Farmer (Dirt Farmer Music)
The extraordinary Elizabeth Cook talks to the Utne Reader about her irreverent career, influences and her upcoming Don Was produced album Welder.
Jim Lauderdale takes time from his South-By-Southwest appearance talk to Spinner.com about, well, his career, influences and her upcoming album Patchwork River, which was produced by longtime production partner Tim Coates and Doug Lancio,. Lauderdale also answers the timless question, “Beatles or Stones?”, in a diplomatic fashion that shows why he’s Mr.Americana.
South-By-Southwest has some great showcases, but I want to highlight three that I would love to attend.The
Roots music blog ninebullets.net is holding the party I wish I was organized enough to pull off. On Wednesday., March 17 at Opa! (2050 South Lamar Blvd.) featuring; American Aquarium, Austin Lucas, Kasey Anderson, Glossary and Joe Pug.
No Depression Showcase will take place on Friday, March 19 at the Continental Club will feature Deadstring Brothers, Elliott Brood, Chatham County Line and more.
Not sure who’s putting this one on but on Friday 19 March the Red Eye Fly club will host Lucero. Deer Tick, Justin Townes Earle, Glossary, and Trampled By Turtles.
Also at the Red Eye Fly (man, I want to hot this club next ime I’m in Austin) Legendary alt.country/roots record label Bloodshot Records will hold their 15th SXSW party Friday, March 19th. Included in the line up are label mates Ha Ha Tonka, Justin Townes Earle and Waco Brothers, Rosie Flores and more.