Linda Ronstadt Joe Ely

Joe Ely has alway been a step ahead of the music industry. He’s toured as an opener for the Clash and shared the stage with Elvis Costello. He;s kept Lubbock on the map by teaming up with local musicians Jimmie Dale Gilmore and Butch Hancock in the country/folk trio The Flatlanders. He’s written books, ‘Bonfire of Roadmaps’ and the forthcoming ‘Reverb: An Odyssey.’

Ely also released a ‘B484,’ an album made in the 80’s in his home studio, cutting edge at the time, that later was recreated in a “professional” studio by MCA and released as ‘Hi Res.’

All this scavenging through archives has also led to another treasure.

A recent visit that Ely had with Linda Ronstadt the two artists recalling the session for a 1987 duet for “Where is My Love.”

After a search, the recording was found. Ely and Ronstadt agreed the song held up well over time. Written by West Texas songwriter, Randy Banks, it is a Tejanao-tinged song of lost love and woeful regret that brings Linda Ronstadt back to her ‘Silk Purse’ country-rock era of the early 70’s. Her vocal interchange with Ely carries a soulful reminder of how two fine artists create magic through chemistry and the sheer joy of sharing together in a great country song and, sadly, how much we will miss her voice due to her struggles with Parkinson’s disease.

Hear the magic below/ I will post info on buying when I get it.

Ely is currently at work on a follow-up to 2011’s ‘Satisfied at Last,’

8 thoughts on “Listen Up! Hear An Unreleased Joe Ely and Linda Ronstadt duet “Where is My Love.”

1. lestme
    January 1, 2015 at 5:12 pm

The real deal. Two southwestern treasures delivery a Gem. Will miss her voice very much. Thank you Joe Ely for bringing this to light.

2. Brad Douglas
    April 4, 2015 at 8:27 am

What a beautiful rendition of a wonderful song. It gives me nostalgic shivers.

3. winorsk
    October 11, 2015 at 11:35 am

Perfect blend of sandpaper and silk!

4. kim
    December 10, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Song written by Rc Banks of Lubbock Texas, now lives in San Marcos.

5. February 14, 2016 at 8:19 am

I will say that I was not aware that R.C. Banks authored this beautiful song…..I have known R.C. for many years now and feel a bit ashamed that I didn’t know he penned this. Great stuff to listen to and ….by the way I was there that Day In Buddy Holly park with thousands of young people feeling the music and sharing the talent that was shown on the Tornado Jam Stage.
    Paul Bullock

6. Terryl Greene
    February 15, 2016 at 1:01 pm

.Joe and Linda have two of the most emotional voices in our history of recorded music..I’ve loved Joe’s earlier version of this song for years. .Linda gives the song a deeper understanding. .what a great discovery. I would love to hear more info on their session together. .

7. Val Roberts
    February 15, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Beautiful!

8. Peter Graham
    February 17, 2016 at 3:38 am

Say the great Joe Ely at the Town Pump in Vancouver in about 1987. One of the great musical nights of my life.