A Twangy Valentines Day

Ah, love is in the air –  But if you’re a fan of country music then you know dysfunction litters the alleyways in the heart of classic narratives. Cheating, lying , drinking, throwing heavy objects, crying, more drinking – some of the best country songs contain some, if not all, of these elements. Alt.country/roots rock…whatever takes things in more interesting places but many of the same themes remain from the source. In celebration, and protest, to Valentines day here is the official Twang Nation list of best Alt.Country love songs.

In no particular order:

Gram Parsons – A Song For You
Caitlin Cary & Thad Cockrell – Please Break My Heart
Lucinda Williams – Still I Long For Your Kiss
Steve Earle – Valentine’s Day
Steve Earle – Goodbye
Townes Van Zandt – I’ll Be Here in the Morning
Neko Case – Favorite
Son Volt – Tear Stained Eye
Ryan Adams – Come Pick Me Up
Drive By Truckers- Marry Me
Old 97s – Big Brown Eyes
Bottle Rockets – I’ll Be Coming Around

Disagree? Add your own!

Caitlin Cary Thad Cockrell –  “Please Break My Heart”

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMv6WuvULm4[/youtube]

8 thoughts on “A Twangy Valentines Day

1. Carrie
    February 18, 2009 at 2:17 pm

You know what would have been an awesome Valentines day present!!?? …Rascal Flatts tickets! ughh I NEED some! theyre going to be in Irvine in March and I NEED THEM!! anyone going to see them perform soon???

2. Baron Lane
    February 18, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Carrie – You’re new here aren’t you? 😉

3. Carrie
    February 23, 2009 at 2:16 pm

lol yea i am…how’d you know. hehe…u a Rascal Flatts fan??

4. Carrie
    February 23, 2009 at 2:17 pm

If you are I just saw that Rascal Flatts is going to answer five questions from fans on their Imeem fan page. im excited! =]

5. Baron Lane
    February 23, 2009 at 2:18 pm

No darlin’, not so much. I like country music.

6. Carrie
    February 25, 2009 at 10:33 am

lol real funny… ok ok Rascal Flatts is more country/rock/pop ish… BUT you have to admit they’re pretty kewl. come on. ..so are you just hating because rascal flatts is mainstream??

7. Baron Lane
    February 25, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Carrie: I don’t “hate” RF. I’m indifferent to them. That’s what their music does for me…it inspires indifference. And no, it’s not because they’re “mainstream” (by that I assume you mean selling large amounts of product) but because they’re mediocre TO sell massive amounts of product. I don’t listen to Bon Jovi when I want to listen to rock because I know there are tons of better bands – same thing with RF.

Some bands and artists I like have done very well – Willie Nelson, The Dixie Chicks, Jamey Johnson…but they did it on their own terms without coming off like a band that looks like they’re manufactured for stardom.

8. freddy jay
    February 25, 2009 at 3:01 pm

wow intense convo going on. lol not really
    im going to stay mutual on this. Im ok with RF BUT idk about them being the shit. theyre pretty ok, ill listen but not my reg stuff.