Singer/songwriter multi-instrumentalist Carrie Rodriguez is set to release ‘Lola,’ her sixth studio album and first on her own Luz Records
‘Lola’ was inspired by 1940s-era recordings of her San Antonio-born great aunt Eva Garza, the bilingual album presents a collection of ranchera-inspired originals by Rodriguez in English, Spanish and “Spanglish,” coupled with Spanish songs written by some of her favorite Mexican composers.
Produced by Lee Townsend (Bill Frisell, Loudon Wainwright III, Kelly Joe Phelps), the album features an all-star band dubbed “The Sacred Hearts,” including internationally acclaimed composer/guitarist Bill Frisell, Viktor Krauss on bass, Luke Jacobs on pedal steel and guitars, David Pulkingham on nylon string guitar and electric guitar and Brannen Temple on drums and percussion. Vocalists Raul Malo and Gina Chavez and Grammy Award-winning bajo sexto player Max Baca also make appearances.
Of the album Rodrigues says “I still remember the first time I listened to one of the recordings by my great aunt, Chicana singing sensation Eva Garza, from the ‘40s… As the strings and trumpets soared behind her gutsy alto voice, I was immediately moved to tears, awestruck by the connection I felt to her and to my family history,” Rodriguez says. “Ever since that first listen it has been a dream of mine to create my own blend of Tex-Mex music. Lola is the album I dreamed of, inspired by the rich landscape of blended cultures that I call home: Texas.”
Rodriguez recently gave birth to her first child, Cruz Calvin Jacobs. Born October 6th.
Rodriguez will tour widely in support of the album—tour dates to be announced.
‘Lola’ Track List:
1. Perfidia (written by Alberto Domínguez) [feat. Raul Malo]
2. Llano Estacado (written by Carrie Rodriguez/Luke Jacobs)
3. I Dreamed I Was Lola Beltrán (written by Carrie Rodriguez/Susan Gibson)
4. La Última Vez (written by Carrie Rodriguez/Gina Chavez) [feat. Gina Chavez]
5. Que Manera de Perder (written by Cuco Sánchez)
6. Frío en el Alma (written by Miguel Ángel Valladares Rebolledo)
7. Z (written by Carrie Rodriguez/Susan Gibson)
8. Noche de Ronda (written by María Teresa Lara)
9. Caricias (written by Carrie Rodriguez/Luke Jacobs)
10. The West Side (written by Carrie Rodriguez)
11. Si No Te Vas (instrumental) (written by Cuco Sánchez)
12. Si No Te Vas (written by Cuco Sánchez)